A simple yet delicious dinner. Works wonderfully well with chicken, fish and any other type of protein too
Rice And Prawn PieA simple yet delicious dinner. Works wonderfully well with chicken, fish and any other type of protein tooNinitha Koya
Basmati Rice, pre soaked in water for hours
a few 1 Cup
Onion, finely chopped
Garlic, finely chopped
3 Cloves of
Kashmiri Chilli Powder/ Paprika
Piece of Ginger, chopped
- In blender, mix together the pre soaked rice with coconut milk until a very smooth and runny batter is formed.
- Add the salt to it and mix really well. Keep aside
- In a pan, pour a little oil and saute the onions until they turn translucent.
- Now add the garlic and ginger and saute for a couple of minutes.
- To this, add the paprika/chili powder, salt and the turmeric powder and fry until the raw smell disappears.
- Now tip in the cooked prawns and mix until everything is well coated with the spices.
- In a greased cake tray, pour half of the rice batter and (using a steamer or by placing the cake tray in a raised platform inside a large vessel half filled with water) steam it for 10 minutes or up until it cooks and becomes firm.
- Now layer the prawns on top of the cooked rice batter and pour half of the remaining batter on top.
- Steam it for 5 minutes and then quickly pour the rest of the batter on top.
- Steam for a further 10 minutes or up until the pie is fully cooked. You could try the toothpick test to check if the pie is cooked.
- Remove from the steamer and give the pie a butter wash.
- Let the pie cool before transferring it to your serving dish.
- Cut into wedges and serve. Yum!