What this cake lacks in looks, it more than makes up for in taste. Seriously, I've never failed with this recipe. A complete compliment magnet, this one is.
While I've used a lemon syrup here, the cake is equally delightful with passion fruit syrup, orange syrup and pineapple syrup. Just be weary of grapefruit syrup, it can turn the cake bitter.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and granulated sugar until fluffy.
- Now add the eggs and lemon zest to it and beat well.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Now fold the flour mixture into the wet mix until incorporated well.
- Then add the milk.
- Grease and flour a baking dish and pour the mix into it. Bake for 40 minutes or until the cake turns golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, in a saucepan over simmering flames, mix together the lemon juice and powdered sugar until it forms a syrup. Then let it cool.
- Once the cake is baked, using the cake tester or a fork, gently poke holes all over the cake.
- Then pour the lemon syrup over the cake and let the syrup seep into all the pores.
- Let the cake stand in the baking dish until it is no longer hot/warm. Since the cake is drenched in syrup, removing it from the dish before it is completely cool can cause it to crumble.
- Dig in!