Unlike the traditional bruschetta, this one is sweet and replaces the bread with cake. Try it, you will like it.
Dessert BruschettaUnlike the traditional bruschetta, this one is sweet and replaces the bread with cake. Try it, you will like it.Ninitha Koya
Plain vanilla cake
Juice of lemons
- Please refer to my lemon syrupy cake recipe for instructions on how to make a plain cake. Alternately, you could bake your trusty plain cake too.
- Cut it out in little squares. You can use cookie cutters in varying shapes to dress up the cake.
- In a large pot, add the water, lemon juice and icing sugar. Keep on stirring until a lemony syrup has been formed.
- Quickly take the cut out cake squares and brush it liberally with the lemon syrup.
- Now add the thawed strawberries and strawberry preserve to the lemon syrup and let it simmer. Keep on stirring until it all comes together. When it has, it will have the consistency of jam.
- Turn off the heat and let is cool. As it cools, the mixture will further thicken, enough to hold its shape when spooned on to the cake squares.
- Using a teaspoon as a measure, scoop out the strawberry lemon filling and lay on the cake square.
- Simple, pretty and a flavour burst with every mouthful.
- I have used some cashews here for decoration. In order to add an extra oomph the cashews, I dipped them in the lemon syrup too.