A creamy, butter pot pie that is just perfect for a lazy night in. You could use store brought pie crusts or make it from scratch. I've tried both and it still tastes yummy. Seriously, its a toss up between yummy and yummier.
Creamy Chicken pot pieA creamy, butter pot pie that is just perfect for a lazy night in. You could use store brought pie crusts or make it from scratch. I've tried both and it still tastes yummy. Seriously, its a toss up between yummy and yummier.Ninitha Koya
Butter, cold and diced
Frozen vegetables (Carrots, peas and corn)
Stalk of Celery
Cheddar Cheese, grated
Egg, beaten lightly
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt
- Now, cut in the chilled butter until the flour gets to a coarse crumb like texture.
- Now add the ice water a little at a time until the flour comes together like a ball. Knead gently for a minute and then wrap it in cling film and pop it in the fridge for 2 hours. You could even prepare the dough a day in advance and leave it in the fridge overnight.
- While the dough is in the fridge, we can prepare the filling. On a pan on medium heat, saute the onions in a little butter.
- Once the onions have turned translucent, add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Now add the chicken and lightly fry it, until its cooked through and has a nice golden colour to it.
- Add the frozen vegetables. We have chosen the frozen vegetables over the fresh ones, simple for convenience. You can also use fresh vegetables of your choice, provided you cook them in advance.
- Now season the chicken and veggie mixture with salt and pepper and any herbs of your choice. You should note that the frozen vegetables will let out a bit of water. If so then please sprinkle a little bit of flour to the pan to help combine it all together and make it less watery.
- Add the fresh cream to the mix and combine it well. You pot pie filling should now have thick gooey consistency. If not, then let it simmer for a couple more minutes.
- Add the finely diced stalk of celery.
- While the filling is simmering and thickening away, take out the dough and divide it into two equal parts
- Now roll it out on a lightly floured surface. Press one rolled out ball on to your pie dish and take care to spread it to the sides of the dish too.
- Now layer the filling into the pie dish. Liberally sprinkle the grated cheese all over the top of the filling.
- Complete the pie by laying out the other rolled out ball on top and crimp the edges shut.
- Now give the pie and egg wash and make 4 slits on the center of the pie
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is nice and golden.
- Dig in and SIGH!