A healthier version of the lasagna or the lasagna roll bake, as we forgo the pasta and use the cabbage leaves to roll the stuffing in. However, I think I let the healthy fly out of the window when on an impulse I smothered the dish in white sauce and baked it. Still healthy-er and still yummy. Apologies for the sad pics though. They truly don't do justice to the dish.
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil and blanch your cabbage leaves in it. Letting it swim in the boiling water for about 3 minutes. Let it drain and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, drizzlle a little oil in a pan and sautee the onions. Then add the paprika, garlic powder and ketchup. Sautee for a few minutes more and then add the meat and vegetables to it.
- Pour 1/4 a cup of water to the mix and let it cook on a low flame, unitl it reaches a thick sauce like consistency.
- Now take a cabbage leaf and place a little of the meat sauce in it and roll it up Tuck in the sides so that the meat mixture is secure inside the cabbage leaf. Roll out all the leaves similarly.
- Place these rolls seam side down on a steamer and steam them for 10 minutes.
- While they are steaming, bring the milk to a boil in a sauce pan. In another bowl, mix together the butter and flour. This is the prevent any lumps from forming on the sauce. Now add the butter mix to the mix and stir well. Turn off the heat.
- Line the steamed cabbage rolls in a baking dish and drown it in the white sauce.
- In an over preheated to 350 degree Farenheit, bake the cabbage rolls for 20 minutes. Remove from the over after 20 minutes and rest it for a further 10 minutes. Ideally, the white sauce would have set and achieved a jelly like consistency by now.
- Serve! :)